63 Top Online Dictionaries in Various Languages and Types
The best online dictionaries can be found all over the Internet, and they use a number of methods to develop something that can aid you in both reading and writing. Here are 63 top online dictionaries in various languages and types. Among them are advanced learning tools as well as multilingual options covering multiple niches and categories.
Online English Dictionaries
- American Heritage Dictionary
American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Ed.
- Collins Dictionary
Collins Unabridged English Dictionary; Collins Unabridged Thesaurus; Collins Webster’s American English Dictionary
Dictionary.com Unabridged, based on the Random House Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary.
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
- Oxford Dictionaries Online
Oxford Dictionary of English; New Oxford American Dictionary; Oxford Thesaurus of English; Oxford American Writer’s Thesaurus
Advanced Learner’s Dictionaries
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
- Cambridge Dictionary
Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- Macmillan Dictionary
Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners
Free multilingual dictionary and contextual sentences. English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Venda and among other languages.
- LEO (website)
Free multilingual collaborative dictionary for German
- Madura English-Sinhala Dictionary
Free English to Sinhala and vice versa online dictionary.
Multilingual online dictionary centered on Russian, and provides an opportunity of adding your own translation
Free and premium multilingual dictionary
Collaborative project run by the Wikimedia Foundation
- Reverso (language tools)
Multilingual collaborative dictionary and contextual translations.
Other Related Posts
- 25 Free Dictionary & Thesaurus (Online & Softwares)
What you’ll find in this post are 25 of the most searched for, online and software based dictionaries and thesaurus. 99% of them are free except a few which require subscriptions for additional premium features.
- 87 of the Top Wikis on the Internet Today
This compilation contains a list of notable websites that use a wiki model. A total of 87 of the top wikis on the internet today from various topics and languages are listed down.
- 171 of the Best Online Encyclopedias from Various Categories and Languages
This list will include 171 online encyclopedias covering general interest, biography, arts, literature, pop-culture, fiction, mathematics, religion, science, medical, etc. from different countries and languages.
World’s largest and most comprehensive directory and search engine for acronyms, abbreviations and initialisms on the Internet.
Find out what any acronym, abbreviation, or initialism stands for.
- Computer Language
Source of computer terms, concepts, important products and interesting stuff.
Free and open multilingual dictionary that provides instant definitions from many respected reference resources such as the Random House College Dictionary, Princeton WordNet, Wiktionary, Webster Dictionary, U.S. National Library of Medicine, DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms and many more.
- Free On-line Dictionary of Computing
FOLDOC is a computing dictionary. It includes definitions of acronyms, jargon, programming languages, tools, architecture, operating systems, networking, theory, standards, mathematics, telecoms, electronics, institutions and companies, projects and history.
- Law.com Dictionary
Search legal terms and definitions.
- Logos Dictionary
Free online with additional premium content.
- Net Lingo
Definitions for thousands of terms in the field of technology and communication.
- Online Etymology Dictionary
This is a map of the wheel-ruts of modern English. Etymologies are not definitions; they’re explanations of what our words meant and how they sounded 600 or 2,000 years ago.
Aggregator of medical definitions for 10,000+ medical concepts with images and pronunciations.
- The Free Dictionary
General and subject dictionaries for financial, legal, and medical terms.
Find synonyms, antonyms, and brief definitions.
- Urban Dictionary
A user-supplied “dictionary” of slang.
Dictionary and engaging vocabulary teaching tool.
The online tech dictionary for students, educators and IT professionals.
Multilingual dictionary and thesaurus written and edited by the public.
- Wolfram Mathworld
The web’s most extensive mathematics resource.
Builds dynamic trees that are filled with synonyms, antonyms, syntactical associations.
WordNet is a large lexical database of English. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms (synsets), each expressing a distinct concept.
Wordnik is the world’s biggest online English dictionary, by number of words.
Dictionaries, word tools, and an amazing illustrated dictionary for children.
Site tracking new words and phrases in popular use.
Free and premium online English thesaurus and dictionary for Windows
- Your Dictionary
Definitions, grammar tips, word game help and more from 16 authoritative sources.
Other Specific Languages
- Academic Dictionary of Lithuanian – Lithunian dictionary.
- Alankaa Dictionary of Arabic (page does not exist) – Arabic dictionary.
- Diccionario de la lengua española – Spanish dictionary.
- Dictionary of the Russian Language (Ozhegov) – Russian dictionary.
- Dictionary of the Scots Language – Scots dictionary.
- Dictionnaire de l'Académie française – French dictionary.
- Duden – German dictionary.
- Ekşi Sözlük – Turkish collaborative dictionary.
- E-mahashabdkosh – Bi-lingual and bi-directional Hindi / English dictionaries.
- Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru – An online dictionary of the Welsh language.
- Plena Ilustrita Vortaro de Esperanto – Esperanto dictionary.
- Reta Vortaro – Esperanto dictionary.
- Svenska Akademiens ordbok – Swedish dictionary.
- Van Dale – Dictionary of the Dutch language.
- William Whitaker's Words – Latin dictionary.
- Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal – Dictionary of the Dutch language (free registration required).
- Crossword Dictionary
Find answers to crossword puzzles, anagrams and cryptograms.
- Google Trends
Explore and compare the popularity of words over time and geography based on Google search data.
- Internet Anagram Server
Internet Anagram Server
- Rhyme Desk
Find rhyming words.
Find rhymes, synonyms, adjectives, and more.
- Write Rhymes