John | Apr 23, 2020 | 0
Algorithms 4th Edition
Algorithms, 4th Edition surveys the most important algorithms and data structures in use today. We motivate each algorithm that we address by examining its impact on applications to science, engineering, and industry. The objective of this book is to study a broad variety of important and useful algorithms-methods for solving problems that are suited for computer implementations. Algorithms go hand in hand with data structures-schemes for organizing data. The textbook is organized into six chapters:
- Chapter 1: Fundamentals introduces a scientific and engineering basis for comparing algorithms and making predictions. It also includes our programming model.
- Chapter 2: Sorting considers several classic sorting algorithms, including insertion sort, mergesort, and quicksort. It also features a binary heap implementation of a priority queue.
- Chapter 3: Searching describes several classic symbol-table implementations, including binary search trees, red-black trees, and hash tables.
- Chapter 4: Graphs surveys the most important graph-processing problems, including depth-first search, breadth-first search, minimum spanning trees, and shortest paths.
- Chapter 5: Strings investigates specialized algorithms for string processing, including radix sorting, substring search, tries, regular expressions, and data compression.
- Chapter 6: Context highlights connections to systems programming, scientific computing, commercial applications, operations research, and intractability.