51 Reasons Why You Should Own An eReader
The future of ebooks will depend on moving away from the concept that an ebook is a copy of a book in electronic form. Therefore, it must look as much like a printed book as possible. In an interview with CNN’s Howard Kurtz on “Reliable Sources,” author Nicholas Negroponte, founder of One Laptop per Child, said the physical book’s days are numbered. “It will be in five years,” said Negroponte. The physical medium cannot be distributed to enough people.
Yet the experience of reading books remains largely untransformed, and the popularity of books has suffered in the face of flashier media formats that are perfected for our busy world. According to the Association of American Publishers, e-book sales were flat or in decline for most of 2013.
eBooks cost much less than printed books because there is no paper printing, fancy covers, packaging cost, shipping, and others. For one printed book, you can get up to 10 eBooks! Besides, eBooks can’t be destroyed and harmed easily like printed books made of paper, which means they last longer. One study found that people with dyslexia read more effectively, and with greater ease, when using the e-reader compared with reading on paper.
In this post, we’ve collected 51 reasons why you should own an ereader and embark upon the world of ebooks. The objective behind this post is definitely not to argue on the winner between the well-fought “books vs ebooks” question. Neither books nor ebooks are the winner here, as long as you read and continue reading. Have fun!
Why Ebooks Are Better? – 20 Reasons to Switch to eBooks & eReaders
A shorter video version – View at Youtube
51 Reasons Why You Should Own An eReader
- Readers are portable and compact.
- No physical space or weight (except for your eReader).
- An eReader can fit in your purse, briefcase, backpack or even your pocket.
- It saves space. Depending on your eReader’s capacity, you can literally store thousands of eBooks.
- It saves money in the long run, eBooks are cheaper. eBooks often go on sale, so you can get bestsellers for $1 to $5.
- It saves time. Skip the bookstore lineups, no need to go to the store to buy, just buy online.
- eReaders help the planet.
- You can still love your library & enjoy more convenience. Libraries lend eBooks which you can borrow while at home or on vacation.
- No library fines. Libraries automatically return eBooks by their due date.
- No more lost library books.
- Closest to paper quality (E-Ink).
- Some eReaders have a glare-free screen & automatically adjust your screen brightness to your current light condition so your eReader can go from full sunlight to dusk to nighttime.
- You can read in bed without light – many eReaders are backlit making it easy to read in dim light or complete darkness.
- Stealth reading – No-one knows what you are reading (privacy).
- More comfortable to hold in your hand than a book. Lighter and read with one hand, turning pages is effortless.
- Multitask – Read while eating, etc.
- Great unlimited selection.
- They are available immediately.
- Will never go out of print.
- They never get lost.
- No more wrinkled, stained, or broken pages.
- Multiple devices – Many eReaders also have apps which allow you to pick up where you left off on your eReader & snatch a few minutes of reading on your phone.
- Copy and paste content easily.
- Can be shared no matter where you are. Easy sharing nurtures the book-loving community.
- Instant search feature.
- Built-in dictionary – Learn new words conveniently and quickly.
- Lookup word definitions, characters, settings, footnotes & many translations without losing your place in the book.
- Read the eBook in multiple languages (if available).
- Helps you in new language learning – highlight the word and translate.
- Greater accessibility – The Kindle Touch is Amazon’s high-end e-reader, offering a text-to-speech reader as a built-in feature. The Touch can read Web content, e-books and magazines. It has controls for the speed of speech and you can select a male or female voice.
- With a Kindle & many other eReaders, words you look up in the dictionary are automatically added to a Vocabulary Builder which you can review to reinforce retention.
- Multiple bookmarks.
- Depending upon the eReader, you can save special pages throughout the book, make notes & highlight passages. If you ever re-read a book, everything remains available.
- Your eReader will automatically save your place in the book – convenient when you don’t have a bookmark ready.
- Revisit and share your highlights.
- Access the internet if there’s a web reference.
- Check your e-mails. Most eReaders have a web browser and even apps so you can do the basic internet things on it.
- Get Social – eReader manufacturers are increasingly adding social media functions to their offerings. Kobo has Reading Life, for example, while Barnes & Noble offers NOOK Friends. Using these tools, you can engage in conversations about eBooks, share thoughts, and make recommendations.
- Learns your reading speed with reading time estimates.
- Many eReaders recognize how fast you are reading so you’ll know how long it will take for you to finish a chapter or the book.
- eReaders offer personalization – Change font types, sizes, color of the screen, margins, line spacing.
- The battery lasts forever – eReaders are totally different. Even if you’re an avid reader who spends long hours reading every day, an average Kindle can last for at least a week.
- Book reviews & suggestions available from your device. No need to look them up separately.
- If you accidentally attempt to purchase an Amazon book you’ve already bought, your Kindle will notify you beforehand.
- Get free automatic updates on any eBook updates and revisions. Same goes to the eReader.
- It’s one click to add your book to Goodreads.
- Goodreads is integrated with Kindle eReaders. Browse and leave your reviews / comments in between reading breaks.
- You can read free samples of eBooks before you buy.
- Free eBooks – You can get many eBooks for free from Project Gutenberg, Amazon, and your local library.
- Ageless books – Kids are tough on stuff and their favorite things really seem to take a beating. One of the key advantages of eBooks is that they are virtually indestructible.
- Better than video games – Kids like to play with gadgets. An eReader helps to satisfy that gadget lust.
Watch videos about books, reading and writing. Expect weird, amazing, never known before facts and many more.
INTERNET / DIGITAL MARKETING HUB
Download free Internet Marketing Ebooks, comprehensive tips & tricks and informative infographics.