413 Site Reliability and Production Engineering Resources & Tools
Site Reliability Engineering is a management philosophy introduced by Google in 2008 to describe its internal operations model. The goal of the site reliability engineering team is to create and maintain a platform that can be easily and frequently deployed and updated without any disruption to either services or users. To achieve this goal, the SRE team usually works closely with other teams, such as developers and designers. On large sites, the SRE team also maintains an organizational structure that allows it to move quickly and coordinate projects.
This post is a curated list of awesome Site Reliability and Production Engineering resources. These resources include books, articles, blogs, newsletters covering various topics such as culture, reliability, monitoring, planning, SLA and many more.
- 3 Free SRE Ebooks by Google
- Post-Incident Reviews: Learning from Failure for Improved Incident Responses
- How to Monitoring the SRE Golden Signals (E-Book)
- Engineering Reliable Mobile Applications: Strategies for Developing Resilient Native Mobile Applications
- What is Site Reliability Engineering?
- Keys To SRE by Ben Treynor
- Google SRE Resources
- Notes from Production Engineering by Pedro Canahuati
- PostOps: Recovery from Operations
- Love DevOps? Wait ’till you meet SRE
- How Google Does Planet-Scale Engineering for Planet-Scale Infra
- Site Reliability Engineering at Facebook
- A History of Site Reliability Engineering at Uber
- Case Study: Adopting SRE Principles at StackOverflow
- Site Reliability Engineering at Dropbox
- Site Reliability Engineers — Keeping Google up and running 24/7
- From Sys Admin to Netflix SRE
- SRE@Google: Thousands of DevOps Since 2004
- Transactional System Administration Is Killing Us and Must be Stopped
- A hierarchy of SRE needs
- PostOps: A Non-Surgical Tale of Software, Fragility, and Reliability
- SRE: An incomplete guide to cultural Narnia
- Putting Together Great SRE Teams
- Toil: A Word Every Engineer Should Know
- Engineering Reliability into Web Sites: Google SRE
- DEVOPS & SRE AMA – Building High Performance Organizations
- John Allspaw’s AMA on Incident Analysis and Postmortems
- Site Reliability Engineering with Paul Newson
- How SysAdmins Devalue Themselves
- The Softer Side of DevOps
- SRE, noun. See also: confidence, trust.
- Site Reliability Engineering with Stephen Weinberg
- We are the Google Site Reliability team. We make Google’s websites work. Ask us Anything!
- We are the Google Site Reliability Engineering team. Ask us Anything!
- The Ops Identity Crisis
- The Irreproducibility Of Bugs In Large-Scale Production Systems
- SE-Radio Episode 276: Björn Rabenstein on Site Reliability Engineering
- Microservices, DevOps and Production Complexity
- Introducing Google Customer Reliability Engineering
- Evolution or Rebellion? The rise of Site Reliability Engineers (SRE)
- The difference between Site Reliability Engineering, System Administration, and DevOps
- SRE in the Small and in the Large
- SBSRE Meetup: Different SRE roles and challenges(Netflix)
- Panel: Who/What Is SRE?
- Hope Is Not a Strategy
- Tenets of SRE
- Site Reliability Engineering Demystified
- Is Site Reliability Engineering the True ‘Ops’ in DevOps?
- SRE vs. DevOps vs. Cloud Native: The Server Cage Match
- SRE: What’s The Big Idea?
- Building the SRE Culture at LinkedIn
- Podcast #111 – SRE: Occasionally Maintaining Infrastructure That You Hate
- Splicing SRE DNA Sequences in the Biggest Software Company on the Planet
- Why should your app get SRE support? – CRE life lessons
- How SREs find the landmines in a service – CRE life lessons
- Making the most of an SRE service takeover – CRE life lessons
- The Cloudcast #301: SRE and Infrastructure Operations (Podcast)
- The SRE model
- Onboarding New Site Reliability Engineers
- Building Blocks for Site Reliability At Google
- Beyond Google SRE: What is Site Reliability Engineering like at Medium?
- Intelligent Site Reliability Engineering – A Machine Learning Perspective
- A crash course in LinkedIn’s global site operations
- Google’s Site Reliability Engineering with Todd Underwood
- What is Site Reliability Engineering? (VMware)
- A Gentle Introduction to SRE
- Understanding Site Reliability Engineering through Movies and Books
- GOTO 2017 • Site Reliability Engineering at Google • Christof Leng
- The Makeup of Successful Geographically-Distributed SRE Teams
- Tech Leadership in SRE
- The Azure Podcast: Episode 227 – Azure SRE
- The human scalability of “DevOps”
- Podcast: Site Reliability Management with Mike Hiraga
- How a cat inspired system reliability at Knowlarity
- Getting Started with Site Reliability Engineering
- Practical Applications of the Dickerson Pyramid by Nat Welch
- LinkedIn’s Kurt Andersen Uncovers Blindspots in SRE Implementations
- Interview with Betsy Beyer, Stephen Thorne of Google
- Less Risk Through Greater Humanity – Dave Rensin
- Getting Started with SRE – Stephen Thorne, Google
- Building Successful SRE in Large Enterprises
- Solving Reliability Fears with Site Reliability Engineering
- SRE vs. DevOps: competing standards or close friends?
- How to Avoid the 5 SRE Implementation Traps that Catch Even the Best Teams
- Reliability Engineering – The Essential Discipline for Complex Systems
- The Modern Site Reliability Workbench on Top of OCI
- SRE in the Third Age
- About SRE and how (not) to apply it
- Transitioning a typical engineering ops team into an SRE powerhouse
- Making a Lion Bulletproof: SRE in Banking
- Identifying and tracking toil using SRE principles
- From Ops to SRE: Evolution of the OpenShift Dedicated
Other Related Posts
- 3 Free Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Ebooks by Google – 2020
SRE is what you get when you treat operations as if it’s a software problem. 3 Free Ebooks on SRE – Building Secure and Reliable Systems, The Site Reliability Workbook and Site Reliability Engineering.
- Problem-Solving Web Design: Strategies for Efficient Websites – 2018
This ebook is all devoted to strategies and practices of problem-solving web design. We offer you the overview of the practical questions that could rise in the process of creating websites for different purposes.
- Other Free Web Design Ebooks and Resources
- Meeting reliability challenges with SRE principles
- A quick introduction to SRE principles
- The SRE I Aspire to Be
- Taming Operational Load with VMware CRE
- SRE Cultural Values
- Are we there yet? Thoughts on assessing an SRE team’s maturity
- Panel: Educating SRE
- From Zero to Hero: Recommended Practices for Training your Ever-Evolving SRE Teams
- New to an SRE team?
- The Systems Engineering Side of Site Reliability Engineering
- Graduating from Bootcamp and interested in becoming a Site Reliability Engineer?
- So you want to be a Site Reliability Engineer?
- Spiraling Ops Debt & the SRE Coding Imperative
- So you want to be an SRE?
- Career Profiles/Site Reliability Engineer
- What is the role of a Site Reliability Engineer?
- Lynda.com: DevOps Foundations: Site Reliability Engineering
- Incident Management Training: Wheel of Misfortune
- The Ultimate Guide to Structuring a 90-Day Onboarding Plan
- SRE fundamentals: SLIs, SLAs and SLOs
- How to Get Into SRE
- Do you have an SRE team yet? How to start and assess your journey
- How SRE teams are organized, and how to get started
- Why SRE Documents Matter
- How to get started with site reliability engineering (SRE)
- Duties of a Site Reliability Engineering Manager
- Designing distributed systems using NALSD flashcards
- Training Site Reliability Engineers: What Your Organization Needs to Create a Learning Program
- SRE Classroom: Distributed PubSub workshop
- School of SRE: Curriculum for onboarding non-traditional hires and new grads
- SRE Hiring
- Hiring SREs at LinkedIn
- Hiring Site Reliability Engineers
- Hiring your first SRE
- Growing the Site Reliability Team at LinkedIn: Hiring is Hard
- Engineering Manager – Site Reliability Engineering Interview Preparation
- The Realities of the Job of Delivering Reliability
- Fail at Scale by Ben Maurer
- Embracing Failure: Fault-Injection and Service Reliability
- 10 Years of Crashing Google
- How we break things at Twitter: failure testing
- Reliable Cron across the Planet
- Push our limits – reliability testing at Twitter
- Weathering the Unexpected
- SRE Hour: Tech Talks by Box & Yelp
- Simplicity: A Prerequisite for Reliability
- The Two Sides to Google Infrastructure for Everyone Else
- How Embracing Continuous Release Reduced Change Complexity
- Making “Push On Green” a Reality
- BeyondCorp: A New Approach to Enterprise Security
- Brainstorming Failure by Jeff Smith
- The Ripple Effect Of Outages And Downtime Cannot Be Underestimated
- The infrastructure behind Twitter: efficiency and optimization
- Dickerson’s Hierarchy of Reliability
- The Morning Paper on Operability
- Production is all that matters
- Using load shedding to survive a success disaster – CRE life lessons
- How to avoid a self-inflicted DDoS Attack – CRE life lessons
- Don’t gamble when it comes to reliability
- Resilience Engineering: Learning to Embrace Failure
- The Infrastructure Behind Twitter: Scale
- Scaling Reliability at Twitter: So You Want to Add a 9
- Principles Of Chaos Engineering
- Chaos Engineering
- Available…or not? That is the question – CRE life lessons
- How Google Backs Up The Internet Along With Exabytes Of Other Data
- Performance, Scalability, And High Availability: 3 Key Infrastructure Adaptability Requirements
- The Production Environment at Google
- Reliable releases and rollbacks – CRE life lessons
- How release canaries can save your bacon – CRE life lessons
- Things I Learned Managing Site Reliability for Some of the World’s Busiest Gambling Sites
- Every Day Is Monday in Operations
- Under the Hood: Ensuring Site Reliability
- Designing reliable systems with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud Next ’17)
- A Google SRE explores GitHub reliability with BigQuery
- Know thy enemy: how to prioritize and communicate risks – CRE life lessons
- Chaos Engineering resources
- CRE life lessons: What is a dark launch, and what does it do for me?
- Why you should pick strong consistency, whenever possible
- The Network is Reliable
- Are You Load Balancing Wrong?
- How production engineers support global events on Facebook
- Google: A Collection Of Best Practices For Production Services
- Canary Analysis Service
- Tips for High Availability
- Progressive Service Architecture At Auth0
- Google Cloud Production Guideline
- production readiness
- Trust By Design: The Fusion of Operational Maturity and Risk Modeling
- Top Seven Myths of Robust Systems
- Taming chaos: Preparing for your next incident
- PID Loops and the Art of Keeping Systems Stable
- Are you ready for production?
- Production Checklist for Web Apps on Kubernetes
- Finding a problem at the bottom of the Google stack
- Rethinking Task Size in SRE
- How maintenance windows affect your error budget
- The Production Readiness Spectrum
- Generic mitigations
Monitoring & Observability & Alerting
- A Working Theory-of-Monitoring
- The Evolution of Monitoring Systems at Google – Tony Rippy
- Monitoring without Infrastructure @ Airbnb
- Monitoring distributed systems
- Observability at Uber Engineering: Past, Present, Future
- The 4 Golden Signals of API Health and Performance in Cloud-Native Applications
- My Philosophy on Alerting by Rob Ewaschuk
- Time To Detect – Netflix
- Why Percentiles Don’t Work the Way you Think
- Building Twitter’s Next-Gen Alerting System
- Instrumentation: Worst case performance matters
- Instrumentation: What does ‘uptime’ mean?
- Incidents + Outages at CircleCI: Our Playbook and What We’ve Learned
- An introduction to monitoring and alerting with timeseries at scale, with Prometheus
- Detecting outliers and anomalies in realtime at Datadog
- How to Monitor the SRE Golden Signals
- Monitoring in a DevOps World
- Monitoring Your Monitoring’s Monitoring
- Observability: the new wave or buzzword?
- Monitoring Isn’t Observability
- Monitoring in the time of Cloud Native
- Principles of Monitoring Microservices
- The Many Ways Your Monitoring Is Lying to You
- GitOps Part 3 – Observability
- Want to Debug Latency?
- Debugging Latency in Go 1.11
- Alerting on SLOs like Pros
- Applied Alerting Philosophy
- Observations on Observability
- Deploys: It’s Not Actually About Fridays
- Site Reliability Engineering Best Practices for Data Pipelines
- Elastic Observability in SRE and Incident Response
- Being an On-Call Engineer: A Google SRE Perspective
- Inside Atlassian: how our site reliability engineers do incident management
- Inside Atlassian: how IT & SRE use ChatOps to run incident management
- Incident Response at Heroku
- Who’s On Call?
- SysAdvent – Day 6 – No More On-Call Martyrs
- On Being On Call
- The On-Call Handbook
- Incident management at Google — adventures in SRE-land
- How Spotify and GOV.UK handle on call, and more
- Run Book / Operations Manual template
- Automating Your Oncall: Open Sourcing Fossor and Ascii Etch
- Project STAR*: Streamlining Our On-Call Process
- SRE@Xero: Managing Incidents Part I
- SRE@Xero: Managing Incidents Part II
- How To Establish a High Severity Incident Management Program
- How Your Systems Keep Running Day After Day – John Allspaw
- On-call doesn’t have to suck
- Why, as a Netflix infrastructure manager, am I on call?
- Oncall and Sustainable Software Development
- On Call Rotations: How Best to Wake Devs Up in the Middle of the Night
- Understanding The Role Of The Incident Manager On-Call (IMOC)
- 3 Ways to Minimize the Impact of High Severity Incidents
- Advice to Management Teams While Enrolling Changes to On-Call Systems
- Moving Past Shallow Incident Data
- Sustainable On-Call
- dotScale 2017 – Aish Raj Dahal – Chaos management during a major incident
- Incident Management at Netflix Velocity
- Incidents, fixes, and the day after
- 10 Steps to Develop an Incident Response Plan You’ll ACTUALLY Use
- Checklists: a stupidly simple but valuable operational gift
- How to write a status page update
- Atlassian Incident Handbook
- PagerDuty Incident Response Handbook
- Avoiding Burnout for SREs
- Better On-Call the SRE way
- Managing Incidents at Monzo
- Making On-Call Not Suck
- How we (Monzo) respond to incidents
- How we’ve evolved on-call at Monzo
- Code Yellow: When Operations Isn’t Perfect
- MTTR is dead, long live CIRT
- Extended Dreyfus Model for Incident Lifecycles
- Inhumanity of Root Cause Analysis
- Incident insights from NASA, NTSB, and the CDC
- My week shadowing a GitLab Site Reliability Engineer
- How our production team runs the weekly on-call handover
- Writing Runbook Documentation When You’re An SRE
- Incident response, programs and you(r startup)
- An Incident Command Training Handbook
- Shrinking the time to mitigate production incidents
- Incident writeup as sociological storytelling
- A collection of post-mortems
- Collection of Kubernetes Failure Stories
- Blameless PostMortems and a Just Culture
- A Tale of Postmortems
- Building a Blameless Post-Mortem Culture with Jason Hand
- The infinite hows
- Failure is Always An Option: How a Blameless Culture Leads to Better Results
- SysAdvent – Day 1 – Why You Need a Postmortem Process
- Etsy’s Debriefing Facilitation Guide for Blameless Postmortems
- Writing Your First Postmortem
- How to Write Great Outage Post-Mortems
- A collection of postmortem templates
- Embracing Feedback
- Postmortem Action Items: Plan the Work and Work the Plan
- Social Issues In Postmortems
- Google Has an Official Process in Place for Learning From Failure–and It’s Absolutely Brilliant
- Postmortem culture: how you can learn from failure
- re:Work – Postmortem discussion template
- Post-mortems to the rescue
- Postmortem Action Items: Plan the Work and Work the Plan
- Why Every Company Can Benefit from a Blameless Culture
- It’s dead, Jim: How we write an incident postmortem
- Our incident postmortem template
- Learn out of mistakes. Postmortems to the rescue.
- Improving Postmortem Practices with Veteran Google SRE, Steve McGhee
- Capacity Planning
- SouthBay SRE: Cloud Capacity Planning
- How do you do Capacity Planning
- How Back Market SREs prepared for Black Friday
Service Level Agreement
- If It’s in the Cloud, Get It on Paper: Cloud Computing Contract Issues
- Service Level Agreements in the Cloud: Who cares?
- Making a point with SLAs
- SysAdvent- Day 20 – How to set and monitor SLAs
- SLOs, SLIs, SLAs, oh my – CRE life lessons
- Service Levels and Error Budgets
- (Un)Reliability Budgets – Finding Balance between Innovation and Reliability
- The Calculus of Service Availability
- Availability Calculator: Calculate how much downtime should be permitted in your SLA
- Best practices to develop SLAs for cloud computing
- A Practical Guide to SLAs
- Building good SLOs – CRE life lessons
- No Grumpy Humans and Other Site Reliability Engineering Lessons from Google
- Consequences of SLO violations — CRE life lessons
- Service Level Objectives in Practice
- SRE Consensus Building
- An example escalation policy — CRE life lessons
- Error Budget Calculator
- Understanding error budget overspend – part one – CRE life lessons
- Good housekeeping for error budgets – part two – CRE life lessons
- SRE fundamentals: SLIs, SLAs and SLOs
- SLOs & You: A Guide To Service Level Objectives
- Earning Our Wings: Stories and Findings From Operating a Large-scale Concourse Deployment
- Nines are Not Enough: Meaningful Metrics for Clouds
- How many nines is my storage system?
- Don’t follow the sun.
- The Tyranny of the SLA
- Backblaze Durability is 99.999999999% — And Why It Doesn’t Matter
- DevOpsDays Chicago 2019 – The Art of SLOs
- The Art of SLOs Workshop Materials
- How to Include Latency in SLO-Based Alerting
- Succeeding With Service Level Objectives
- Putting customers first with SLIs and SLOs
- SRE Leadership: Have Tiered SLAs
- How SLOs Enable Fast, Reliable Application Delivery
- The Tail at Scale
- The Tail at Scale Revisited
- Defining SLOs for services with dependencies
- Go Language for Ops and Site Reliability Engineering
- Go for SREs using Python
- Operability in Go
- Go Reliability and Durability at Dropbox
- What is SRE (Site Reliability Engineering)?
- Here’s How Google Makes Sure It (Almost) Never Goes Down
- Site Reliability Engineers: “solving the most interesting problems”
- Site Reliability Engineers: the “world’s most intense pit crew”
- Site reliability engineering kicks rote tasks out of IT ops
- Notes on Site Reliability Engineering
- Adventures in SRE-land: Welcome to Google Mission Control
- Book Review: Site Reliability Engineering – How Google Runs Production Systems
- Site Reliability Engineers: “We solve cooler problems”
- SREcon17: Brave new world of site reliability engineering
- Open AWS guide
- 20 SRE / Devops / System Engineer Tricks
- Commentary on Site Reliability Engineering
- Site Reliability Engineering: 4 Things to Know
- Looking for SRE Success? Then Find the Intrapreneurs!
- What Team Structure is Right for DevOps to Flourish?
- Injured on Vacation? Applying Principles from Site Reliability Engineering to a Travel Emergency
- Building blameless working environment
- SRE Adoption Report
- SREs: The Happiest – and Highest Paid – in the Industry
- The Role of Site Reliability Engineering, Today and Tomorrow
- SRE as a Lifestyle Choice
- SRECon EMEA 2019 Recap
- Life of an SRE at Google – JC van Winkel
- Site Reliability Engineering for Native Mobile Apps – Abhijith Krishnappa
Case study: Halodoc adaptation of SRE principles for Native Mobile Apps
- SRE Best Practices by InfraCloud
- Brendan Gregg’s Blog
Highly Technical Blog Posts About Systems Internals, Performance and SRE.
- Everything Sysadmin
Blog Posts About SysAdmin/DevOps/SRE by Tom Limoncelli.
- High Scalability
Technical Blog Posts About Systems Architecture.
Techincal Blog Posts.
- Susan J. Fowler
Various blog posts about SRE, Software Engineering and Microservices.
One article for each day of December, ending on the 25th article.
- Stephen Thorne’s Blog
Blog Posts About SRE
A digital magazine about how teams build and operate software systems at scale.
Blog Posts about Go and SRE.
- Cindy Sridharan
Blog posts about distributed systems and their management.
- Blameless Blog
Blog posts about SRE culture and practices.
- Resilience Roundup
Weekly analysis of Resilience Engineering and Human Factors research designed for software systems
- Squadcast Blog
Blog posts about SRE best practices, reliability, on-call and incident management.
- FireHydrant Blog
Posts about complex systems, incident response, and SRE best practices.
- Rootly Blog
Incident management best practices and guides.
A weekly newsletter about SRE, SysAdmin and DevOps news, tools, tutorials and opinions.
The weekly newsletters for all things Kubernetes. KubeWeekly is curated by Bob Killen, Chris Short, Craig Box, Kim McMahon and Michael Hausenblas
- SRE Weekly
Weekly Site Reliability Newsletter.
- O’Reilly Systems Engineering and Operations Newsletter
Weekly systems engineering and operations news and insights from industry insiders.
Chaos Engineering newsletter. All things Chaos Engineering, directly to your inbox!
Conferences & Meetups
- SRECon Conferences
The Official SRE Conference.
- LISA Conferences
Prominent Conference About SysAdmin/DevOps/SRE.
- SRE Tech Talks
SRE Talks Hosted by Google.
- South Bay Site Reliability Engineering (Sunnyvale, CA) Meetup
A Group For Individuals Who Tackle Reliability Challenges For Web-Scale Systems.
- San Francisco Reliability Engineering
A Group Of People Who Are Passionate About Reliable, Performant Software Systems.
- Site Reliability Engineering Munich, Germany
SRE Meetup in the greater area of Oktoberfest city.
- ADDO – All Day DevOps
A 24 hour conference that is completely online and free.
- Site Reliability Engineering Paris, France
SRE Meetup in the city of light.
- Site Reliability Engineering India
SRE Meetup India
- Google SRE Twitter Account
Google’s SRE Twitter Account.
The Official Twitter Account of Site Reliability Engineering Book.
SRECon’s Official Twitter Account.
The Official Twitter Account of Site Reliability Workbook.
- The SRE Dev
SRE-related Posts from dev.to
- Twitter SRE
The Official Twitter Account of Twitter’s SRE team.
- Twitter SRE Weekly
The Official Twitter Account of SRE Weekly Newsletter.
- USENIX Association
The Official USENIX Twitter Account.
Watch videos about books, reading and writing. Expect weird, amazing, never known before facts and many more.
INTERNET / DIGITAL MARKETING HUB
Download free Internet Marketing Ebooks, comprehensive tips & tricks and informative infographics.