37 Awesome Writing Tools to Help You to Write More
Some of them are free, others are not, but all of them serve the same purpose – to aid in your writing tasks. The right writing tools help you create content better and faster by giving you what you need to stay focused, find errors, brainstorm ideas, and perfect your copy. You may find yourself wondering later how you ever wrote a word without them.
We hope you enjoy the list of tools below. We think they are pretty great and we hope you do too. If we missed out on your favorite or you have one that you think will benefit others, please let us know in the comments. We’d be delighted with the recommendation. Happy writing!
37 Awesome Writing Tools to Help You to Write More
- Grammarly for Chrome – This Chrome extension checks for context, grammar and punctuation issues, and has a thesaurus and dictionary to boot.
- Writefull – Writefull is an app that gives feedback on your writing by checking your text against databases of correct language.
- Expresso – Expresso is a little tool to edit texts and improve your writing style. It will teach you to express yourself through writing more efficiently and help make your texts more readable, precise, and engaging.
- Hemingway Editor 3.0 – Hemingway Editor 3.0 is a tool which will make your writing one of a kind! It will not only check your grammar, but it will enrich your text, format it and make it ready to share with the world! You can upload directly to Medium and WordPress or you can make it to any web page by exporting to HTML.
- iA Writer 4 – A clean, simple writing environment – delightful. iA Writer 4 is a writing tool for the brave, available on the desktop and mobile.
- The Most Dangerous Writing App – The Most Dangerous Writing App is the most dangerous way to keep yourself focused. Keep writing, or the text fades away and disappears forever.
- Linguix Writing Assistant – Linguix.com is the best way to find and eliminate spelling issues in your English texts anywhere on the web.
- Flowstate – Flowstate is a response to the amphetaminic digital age. It frees the writer to turn on, tune in, and open up.
- Cleartext – A text editor that will help you write clearer and simpler.
- Typely – Typely is a sensitive, unobtrusive and reliable tool for any writer, newspaper editor, teacher, blogger or student. At its core, a linter for text, a computer program that, like a spell checker, scans through a document and analyzes it.
- Headlines – Gives out a headline quality score which comprises of engagement and impression. Includes a list of strengths and suggestions.
- Tempad – Tempad is a subscription-free, ad-free and simple yet innovative way of typing of note taking. Tempad is a subscription-free, ad-free and simple yet innovative way of typing of note taking.
- Telescope – Telescope is a writing and publishing platform.It offers a beautiful and minimal text editor, it doesn’t ask your personal details, it features a bunch of cool content distribution mechanisms, and fast and nice-looking content pages.
- Textio – Textio is the augmented writing platform that instantly transforms your rough ideas into powerful language with a single keystroke. Building on the words you type, Textio’s data-fueled predictive engine generates highly effective writing that sounds like you.
- Analyze My Writing – Analyze My Writing is an online text content and readability analyzer. Copy and paste a text into the homepage and gain a wealth of information about your text including word and character counts, word and sentence lengths, the readability of your text, and other analyses.
- Edward the App – Edward is a web app for writing your first novel. Plan, outline, write and analyze in the app, with the help of tools and goodies like an on-demand dictionary and thesaurus, chapters as tabs, instant chapter search, and side-by-side writing.
- Write – The purpose of this is to get the user to write for a set duration without any inhibition or distraction allowed. To achieve this, the editor lets one write for a specified duration, within which, if the user goes inactive, all that has been written is deleted completely. This forces the user to continuously write throughout the session, resulting in a rough draft of (a lot of) content that can then be revised/polished.
- Rough Draft for iPhone & iPad – A text editor writing app that offers the natural rough reminders of paper. That’s why in Rough Draft there’s no deleting.
- Highland 2 – We’ve taken the tools we built for writing screenplays and made them work for almost every kind of document you write. From novels to blog posts and school reports, Highland’s clean design and innovative tools help you focus on words, not formatting.
- Chunks – Chunks is an app for writers and non-writers. Just write like you’d be writing on messenger!
- Progressive Punctuation – Progressive Punctuation is a collection of non-standard punctuation marks we should be using today.
- Draft – Draft is a writing and collaboration tool that was specifically designer for freelance writers.
- The Internet Typewriter – The Internet Typewriter is an online, minimalist typewriter that aims to give writers a distraction-free writing environment.
- Scrivener – Tailor-made for long writing projects, Scrivener provides everything need to craft your first draft.
- Calmly Writer – Calmly Writer is a distraction-free writing tool that gets out of your way once you start writing.
- ilys – ilys is a wonderful tool that forces you to focus on writing. Set how many words you want to write and the only thing you can do is continue typing. No backspaces. No edits. Just continual writing until you’ve hit your word count goal.
- Cliché Finder – Cliché Finder will highlight any clichés in your copy.
- CoSchedule Headline Analyzer – Gives your headline a score based on a number of factors including length, sentiment, word choice, and more.
- Ulysses – Ulysses is a writing environment built to give writers all the tools they need while staying out of their way. This app lets you connect your devices and then seamlessly switch between Mac, iPad, and iPhone whenever you want.
- Hubspot Blog Topic Generator – a simple but effective tool for coming up with content ideas. Start by entering a noun for your topic and go from there…
- Portnet Content Idea Generator – Simply enter in a keyword and cycle through blog topic suggestions.
- Ideaflip – More of an organizational tool than anything else but it’s a great way to keep track of your thoughts and clarify them later on.
- Word Hippo – Do you hate when you can’t think of the word you’re looking for?
- Freelance Writing Stack – Curated directory of freelance writing resources and tutorials.
- Text Handler – Text Handler helps you prepare your content for the web by adding the relevant tags for you.
- Byword – a Markdown writing app that makes it easy for you to create Markdown and rich text, then publish that content to your prefer platform.
- Scapple – a brainstorming and mind mapping tools that helps you keep track and connect different thoughts.
Interested in videos created exclusively for bookworms?
Watch videos about books, reading and writing. Expect weird, amazing, never known before facts and many more.