John | Apr 23, 2020 | 0
31 Free Great Short Stories That Will Blow Your Mind
If you have a short attention span like me, short stories always do the work when you’re craving for a quick read. In this compilation, we’ve covered over 31 free great short stories from various genres, including sci-fi, fantasy, fiction, poetry and a majority of them from the public domain. If you need a break from your longer reading session, these short stories could be your short escape to soldier on the bigger battles. Some of the popular authors that you may find in this list are H.P. Lovecraft, Donald Barthelme, Jerome David Salinger, David Foster Wallace and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. to name a few.
While browsing this list, you may notice that some of the titles might ring a bell or two, or you may even have read them in the past. Nonetheless, we’re pretty sure there’ll be some short stories which you haven’t gotten your eyes on. Additionally, feel free to let us know if you know any other free short stories out there which we’ve not listed here. Happy reading and don’t forget to be our patreon.
Without further ado, here’s the list:-
- A weekly magazine of and about speculative fiction. by Strange Horizons – They publish fiction, poetry, reviews, essays, interviews, roundtable discussions, and art.
- All written work by Donald Barthelme
- Full Texts and Ghost Stories by Montague Rhodes James
- Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius by Borges
- Moxon’s Master by Ambrose Pierce
- Bears Discover Fire by Terry Bisson
- 112 Stories by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Laughing Man by Jerome David Salinger
- Sleep by Haruki Murakami
- Good Old Neon by David Foster Wallace
- The Depressed Person by David Foster Wallace
- A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury
- I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison
- Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
- The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
- To Build a Fire by Jack London
- 30 Short Stories by Edgar Allan Poe
- Dubliners by James Joyce
- The Piazza Tales by Herman Melville
- The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain
- The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce
- The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
- Mosses from an Old Manse, and Other Stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Twice Told Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- The Snow Image by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- The House of Souls by Arthur Machen
- The Open Boat by Stephen Crane
- The Blue Hotel by Stephen Crane
- The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky by Stephen Crane
Interested in videos created exclusively for bookworms?
Watch videos about books, reading and writing. Expect weird, amazing, never known before facts and many more.